At the Apple Tree Centre, we can offer specialist support around Autism. You do not need to have a formal diagnosis of autism to have this support. Our Speech,Language & Communication Therapist specialises in autism and mental health.
What is Autism?
Autism is a word used to describe people whose brains seem to work in a different way to most people. They think about things differently, and experience things differently.
Here are some things that people who think in an autistic way often find easy:
- Paying attention to detail.
- Following their passions and learning a lot about something they find interesting.
- Being honest and straightforward with people.
- Coming up with unusual and interesting ways of solving problems.
- Following routines.
Here are some things that people who think in an autistic way often find difficult:
- Working out what other people are thinking or feeling, or why they are doing what they do.
- Being in places that are very loud, bright, busy or unpredictable.
- Working out what is likely to happen, especially in a new place or situation.
- Feeling comfortable around other people, and knowing what to say or do.
- Coping when there is a change of plan.